Sunday, August 26, 2012

Unity

I first want to say that my heart has never been as broken for the body of Christ as it was Thursday night. Have you ever been so broken inside that your heart literally aches and no matter how much you weep that ache remains? That’s exactly how I felt Thursday night. My words were few but my tears were many. My heart was broken as God opened my eyes and gave me just a tiny little bit of a glimpse of what is breaking his heart. When I asked the Lord, how I should pray for my Pastor and our Church my focus was immediately directed to unity.


Imagine with me for a minute that you’re at a symphony and the conductor is standing above the musicians on his podium and he is leading the musicians to create this beautiful orchestrated song. However, one little flutist forgot to turn her cell phone off and her phone begins ringing. She was immediately distracted and took her eyes off the conductor to find her phone. The flutist beside her is trying to stay focused on the conductor but the fidgeting beside her is distracting her as well. Before long the entire orchestra is distracted and out of sync. The conductor is growing exhausted trying to get their focus so he can get them back in harmony but realize that without unity the music is unpleasing to our ears. If the body of Christ lacks unity we are going to be less effective in the world.

Philippians
2:2 says, "fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind."

When I did a word study on this verse, it really jumped off the page at me so I want to share (I eliminated as much as I could)

Fulfill means to develop the full potential of One accord (Greek context) - people sharing the same identity because they are in Christ

Mind (Greek context)-to agree together, cherish the same views and be harmonious.  To break this scripture down according to my word study you could say: To develop the full potential of my joy, be harmonious with each other, having unconditional (Agape) love, sharing the same identity because you are in Christ, agree together.

Acts 2:1 says, when the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Notice that it says they ALL were with one accord in one place. Unity can be defined as oneness of purpose. It means working together toward a common goal. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit was a result of their unity. Think about it, one Believer filled with the Holy Ghost has power but many filled with the Holy Ghost is powerful. Look at Acts 4:23-31 and you'll see that when they all were united as one, one heart and one mind the place where they were meeting even shook. They loved each other so much that they shared everything; they took care of one another. The Lord saw their hearts and released his power to work through them as a result of their oneness with each other (Amazing).

After studying this subject these last couple of days, I believe that love is the main ingredient to having unity. Without love we cannot please God. I could go on and on, but I’m going to stop there and let you study this area for yourself. I do believe that praying the Word of God in unity is needed this week. I Love you guys :)


Heavenly Father,
We enter your gates with Thanksgiving in our hearts and into your courts with Praise. We rejoice in you Lord and we bless your name for you are Holy. Lord you are God; you made the heavens and the earth and the sea, and everything in them. Father, we want to fulfill your Joy by being like-minded, having the same love and being of one accord and one mind. Father we pray to be one with you, that the world may know your love through us. Teach us your ways oh Lord. We will bless you Lord at all times. In Jesus Name we pray…Amen


Read
Psalm133:1(Unity)
John 15:9-14(Jesus command to love, right before he goes to the Garden)
John 17:22-24(Jesus prayer about oneness)
Acts 4:23-31
Psalm 34:1
Psalm 86:11
Psalm 97:12
Psalm 100:4
Psalm 97:12

Prayer List
1. Divine Protection for Pastor and Family
2. Holiness
3. Heart like Hur to pray through the battle/strength when weary
4. Revival
5. Steadfastness
6. Surrender/Church about our Fathers business
7. Discernment
8. Worship in Spirit and Truth
9. Trust
10. Pray to be led by the Holy Spirit
11. Resist Discouragement
12. Offense
13. Unity


No comments:

Post a Comment