Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Trust

Have you ever been faced with a situation in your life that you know you need to forgive someone, even if they don't ask you to forgive them? I think our expectations of people are so high at times that when they don't meet our expectations, we are hurt rather quickly. Sometimes people hurt us and they don't even know they have done anything wrong and then we have those times when people knowingly hurt us but they just can't seem to take that step to apologize. God's word tells us to forgive them anyway. It doesn't say that we can choose what to forgive them for or that we only have to forgive them if they ask us or we only have to forgive them once. Jesus said to forgive them 70x7 which basically means as many times as needed:

Matthew 18:21-22 (NLT)
21 Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone[a] who sins against me? Seven times?” 22 “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!

I'm saying all this because I thought that I was dealing with a problem of forgiveness in my life, until this morning and God revealed that it was so much more than forgiveness. We can't forgive anyone on our own; we can only forgive through Christ. When I am hurt by someone I place that person before God and say God forgive me for whatever I have done in this situation to cause them pain and hurt and help me to forgive them for the hurt they have caused me. Forgiveness is taking that initial step in actively pursuing forgiving someone. It's taking the situation to the foot of the Cross and asking Christ to forgive them through you. However, the minute a new hurt would arise all the old stuff would rise up again also. Immediately, I would think well obviously I haven't forgiven them or all this old stuff wouldn't be resurfacing.

So, I focus on the issues, get angry with myself and the person involved, cry, go through all these self pity actions and after I dwell on it enough I go through the steps of humility again and take it to the cross. Naturally, I'm thinking that I don't know how to just let go of the past and forgive them. So, this morning as I was praying God said "Amy when you come before me repenting and asking me to help you forgive someone your heart and motives are pure but forgiveness is not a one step process. You have to choose to forgive over and over again. You have to choose to walk in forgiveness daily. If the old stuff surfaces you bring it to me again immediately. Stop waiting until you have done everything you know to do and dwelled on the situation for days before you truly bring it before me. You know how to forgive what you need to learn to do is trust. You don't trust me to handle the situation. You ask me to handle something for you and you surrender it to me for a little while but when you don't see immediate change you come and pick it back up and try to do it yourself. Your ways are not my ways. When people don't meet YOUR expectations than you fall apart and dwell on the circumstances again. This is an issue of the heart; I need you to trust me. I'm answering prayers for you; I have your best interest at heart. I'm working on things for you that you haven't even asked for yet. I know that trust is hard for you because you have never had anyone in your life you felt like you could trust but I am your Father. I have watched over and protected you even when you didn't want my protection. Now, I need you to trust me to handle every situation you encounter".

My father spoke this to me all morning. He took it another step further though, as soon as I got to work and turned my computer on, my devotion for the day was on Trust. WOW, I don't know where you are with trusting God in your own personal life but God has spoke this so heavy in my heart today I think this is what he wants us all to realize today. Our ways are not his ways, he has the perfect plan for our life, plans to prosper us and not harm us. This week let's pray this for us and our Pastor. Pray that we may trust God completely with everything and every situation in our life.
Nahum 1:7 (NLT)
The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in him. 

Psalm 37:3-4 (NLT)
Trust in the Lord and do good.  Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.  4Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires.

Isaiah 55:8-9(NIV)
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. So are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. “As the heavens are higher than the earth,

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


Prayer List
1. Divine Protection for Pastor and Family
2. Holiness
3. Heart like Hur to pray through the battle/strength when weary
4. Revival
5. Steadfastness
6. Surrender/Church about our Fathers business
7. Discernment
8. Worship in Spirit and Truth
9. Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment